In its second season on National Geographic, world-renowned survivalist Bear Grylls returns to the wilderness eager to push the mental and physical limits of a brand new slate of celebrities in the hit adventure series Running Wild with Bear Grylls. Hollywood’s fan-favourites come along for another adventurous ride as Grylls brings new survival tricks to the fore amidst challenges that make even the bravest shudder. The newest season premieres Wednesdays at 21:00 (CAT) from 21 April on National Geographic (DStv 181, StarSat 220).
Each week, a new celebrity guest leaves the luxury of their homes to venture into some of the most extreme environments in the world to conquer fears, test their limits and sometimes dabble in nature’s not so tasty delicacies. Continuing to push superstars’ comfort levels this season, Grylls travels the globe from the deserts of Utah to the Dolomites of Italy to the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California for more epic, life-changing adventures.
“There’s no doubt that life has been difficult for so many around the world, but if anything, this time is teaching us all resilience—and there is no better teacher than the wild. For me to be able to head back into the wild with so many incredible new celebrity guests is a true privilege. I know the power in life of never giving up, and this newest season tested that in spades. In each of these tough, unforgiving environments, from deserts to high mountains, we see these stars share some incredibly intimate and honest moments. To be part of that is a powerful inspiration—and that is so needed right now.” – Bear Grylls
“As National Geographic, we were thrilled to welcome Running Wild to its new broadcast home last year, another exciting addition to our family of content that promises to drive exploration and curiosity of our world. We cannot wait to see fans and viewers’ reactions as Bear and his celebrity guests are pushed to the very limits of human survival and outdoor adventure in this brand new season.” – Evert van der Veer, Vice President, Media Networks, The Walt Disney Company Africa
Survival is the name of the game when Emmy®-nominated star Terry Crews (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) joins Bear on an epic journey across Iceland’s treacherous terrain to cross freezing, violent floodwaters while trying to avoid hypothermia. Fan-favourite Bobby Bones (“Breaking Bobby Bones”) is back for round two, and this time he brings his fiancée Caitlin Parker along for the ride in their first joint television appearance. Their ability to rely upon each other in the rugged wilderness of the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains is put to the ultimate test when they must track deadly mountain lions, descend towering sandstone cliffs and forage for food under ice-covered waterfalls.
Bear takes Marvel superstar Anthony Mackie (the highly anticipated Disney+ series “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”) to the highest peaks of the Italian Dolomite mountains for an adventure he will never forget. There he braves freezing conditions to conquer sheer cliffs and icy waterfalls, where even the smallest slip could lead to disaster. Emmy Award-winning actor and comedian Keegan-Michael Key (“Brain Games”) must put all jokes aside and face some of his greatest fears to conquer the lava fields of Iceland in an adrenaline-pumping adventure.
This season’s line-up of celebrity guests includes (in alphabetical order):
- Bobby Bones and fiancée Caitlin Parker –award-winning and influential American TV and radio personality and bestselling author (“The Bobby Bones Show,” “Breaking Bobby Bones,” “American Idol”)
- Terry Crews – Emmy Award-nominated actor and former NFL linebacker (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Deadpool 2,” “The Expendables”);
- Keegan-Michael Key – Emmy Award-winning actor and comedian (“Brain Games,” “The Prom,” “Friends from College”)
- Anthony Mackie – award-winning actor (“Avengers: Endgame,” “Altered Carbon,” “Captain America: Civil War,” highly anticipated Disney+ series “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”)
- Danica Patrick – former professional racing driver and the only female winner of an IndyCar Series race—the 2008 Indy Japan 300
- Danny Trejo – award-winning actor (“Machete,” “Sons of Anarchy,” “From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series”)
- Rainn Wilson – actor, writer and producer (“The Office,” “Utopia,” “Star Trek: Discovery”)
Tune in on DSTV: Channel 181
StarSat: 220 on DTH, 220 on DTT (249 on DTT in Uganda)